Legends and stories about the Torget
"The legend of Heming, Norway's best archer, skier and swimmer, may be recorded for the first time in 1100-century of an Anglo-Saxon clerk by Knutchurch inn Harm, we do not know it. But legend went along the pilgrimage routes and is found in the legend of William Tell. It about Heming in Torgar, who beat Harald Hardrade in all sports. The legend is still alive in folk songs of Norway, the Faroe Islands, in a Scottish ballad, and is recorded in Flatey and Hauk book.
Egils saga tells that the Togar was a powerful chieftain's seat when the Viking Age began. The witnesses names Trellnes and Trellvik in Harm fjord about. Egils saga tells of the woman beloved bully Bjørgulv, the son Brynjulv, Harald Fairhair feudal lord. Married to Helga, Thorolf Kveldulvsons cousins, and their son, Bard, who was married to Sigrid from Sandnes and fell at Hafrsfjord in the year 900 Sigrid was the same year married Thorolf Kveldulvson, who took over the market and the following year held great feast of Harald Fair-haired. At parting he gave the king a fully equipped dragon ships. When the king killed Thorolf Kveldulvson of Sandnes in 905, was the childless Sigrid third time married Thorolf mother's brother, Eyvind Lambi, and their son was Øyvind Skaldaspiller, who died in 990
If Its Hårek son, who was killed in Trondheim 1036, settled in Tjøtta, which was taken over by his son, Einar Fluga - Harald Hardrade good friend, and then by his son, Ketil Fluga.
When Olav Kyrre returned home to Norway in 1067, he brought his friends Ketil and Skule, the sons of the Earl of York. Ketil was ancestor of the new Torgarætten and there is reason to believe that he was married to the daughter of Einar Fluga in Tjøtta, who was the king's governor in Hålogaland. Ketil built Knutchurch of Harm, which was erected in Anglo-Norman style in 1100, but recessed stars in the soapstone of portals and windows, and with Ketil second cousin, - St. Knut, the patron saint. The ruins are still on Tilrem.
The son seems named after Ketil aunt man Viljam Conqueror - King of England, a name that constantly recur in Torgarfamily. Viljam Skinnare of the square was killed in Sømna of Magnus the Blind in 1139. Another Viljam of Torgar fell by Fimreite in 1184, together with Ketil Fluga of Tjøtta. A third Viljam of Torgar fell in Oslo at Duke Skule's side in 1240, and a fourth Viljam of the square was the king's envoy to Scotland in 1292
The judge in Hålogaland took evidence on Torgar 1334 about the treasures Mrs. Cecilia Earl's daughter had received, some of her late husband Erik Viljamson in the market, then this two years earlier fled the country, and partly by others. Among the treasures include a gold ring she had received from the Duchess Ingeborg. Cecilie belonged Boltætten, believed born 1310 and died in Nonneseter monastery in 1393, where she had taken the veil.
Kolbein Viljamson gave Sømna the oldest monastery, Dominicans Convent of Monks Island, and Brynhild Kolbein daughter sold the last square to the archbishop about 1427. The archbishop left the square to its setesveiner, often close relatives, and some we know by name, namely Torstein Kuse, married Anngerd Arnesdatter the market, and their son Arne Kuse, married to Anne at the Market.
In the period 1537 - 1666 was a Torget crown land given Helgeland's feudal lords, but usually run by their officers. Its heyday in this period had the goods, as Helge's feudal lord Shaft Gynt Ersberg took up residence on the market. It died and his mother Kristin Lauritz Daughter Foss 27 February 1569, the widow of Henry Gynt Ersberg, and here died his wife Kristin Trond Daughter Benkestokk 21 February 1572. Their epitaphs with 16 anevåpen hung in Brønnøy church fire in 1772. In recent years the shaft Gynt Ersberg bailiff at Helgeland under the new feudal overlord, and died in 1588. To Gyntersbergs in-law heard privateers Magnus Heineson, who was beheaded in Copenhagen 1589, but honorably buried in Ørslev Kloster 1590, where his tomb and epitaph yet exist.
After 1660, when the Crown goods were sold, continued market as bailifffarm and here lived Peter Angell and his son Peder Broch Angell from 1708 to 1751. When the farm was divided into two, internal and external market. The youngest section, Outer Market, was in the time 1755 - 1767 occupied by amtsmannen of Northlands Hans Hagerup. Later went to the square of the Angell Foundation and ended in rural use. All buildings of old are burned and gone. The old chieftain seat have no ancient monuments.
Source: The booklet "Torghatten via Brønnøysund", 1959, by Einar Høvding